How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can i give notice to the landlord that I want to leave early

This answer was rated:

can i give notice to the landlord that I want to leave early eg 10 months into a 12 month rental agreement?

Thanks for your patience.

I'm afraid you will be bound by the full term of the tenancy agreement unless there is a break clause in it entitling you terminate at a certain point during the term or the property is unfit for human habitation (which would also entitle you to terminate.

If you do leave earlier than the fixed term then the landlord will recover what rent he can from your deposit and then you sue (and win) for the balance of the remaining rent until the end of the term. It’s really not worth it.

However, landlords are generally under a duty not to unreasonably refuse a suitable replacement tenant the difficulty here being whether or not you can find someone to replace you for two months.

If you can find a tenant willing to take the property on a new 6 months tenancy then you can produce them to the landlord and execute a written surrender of tenancy with the landlord confirming that the old tenancy is at an end with no liability to eachother at the same time they execute the new tenancy with the new tenant
Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions