How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if my landlord advertised the house we rent for long term let

This answer was rated:

if my landlord advertised the house we rent for long term let and started me off with a shorthold 6 month tenancy but promised to renew it for longer, should he have to renew it for longer?
6 month to me is not a long term let.

Thanks for your question.

I don’t think that his statement that he would let it to you for longer once the initial tenancy has expired is enforceable. If you had not execute a written tenancy agreement and he verbally agreed to give you a tenancy for two years then it may be enforceable.

Suggesting that he would be amenable to renewing it for a longer period is not a legally binding offer to you unfortunately, it’s more an expectation. Landlords are not under any legal obligation to offer tenancies at long terms. It’s their property, they can dictate how long they want the length of term to be I’m afraid.

Once you have formally agreed a length of term for a set rent then this is a formal tenancy and therefore you can enforce it against the landlord, but everything up until that point is negotiation.

Sorry it could not be better news, but at least you will be in the property for at least another 3 months (minimum) because the landlord has not served the s21 notice.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you