How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Awan-Legal Your Own Question
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 128
Experience:  solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Awan-Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On a different matter, my father went to visit his daughter

Customer Question

On a different matter, my father went to visit his daughter from his 1st marraige in India in 1981, and died out there, I was told it was a mild heart attack, I never saw a death certificate, as did no one in the family, and his body was not flown home, Ido not know the extact date, or where he was buried and the Will he made, was not used, which meant his wife(who was with another partner) and her three children got all 5 properties, the savings, the personal pocessions, in fact my mother did not know about his death until ten years later as we were not informed. Both his wife and children knew about me and my sister, and my father had apparently had another affair after me and my sister with two more children. As I was illigitamate in 1969, i think I had not rights to my fathers life, but I would like to have access to his death certificate, burial details. Also, now times have changed, my fathers mother died a few years ago aged 90, again, my half brothers and sister did not contact me to let me know this had happened, they have an address for me,do you see a legal way for me to obtain infomation about my father and things that pertain to my life?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 5 years ago.

Awan-Legal : Hi
Awan-Legal : You can obtain the death certificate for your father but if you are unsure about the date of death, you will need to pay per year searched.
Awan-Legal : The below link shows how to obtain the death certificate:
Awan-Legal :
Awan-Legal : Unfortunately there is no formal way of being notified of a death or birth in India unless you are named as next of kin.
Awan-Legal : The best practical way would be to keep in touch with the people who notified you of the deaths and ask them to keep you updated about any other personal circumstances that may affect you.
Awan-Legal : I hope that helps.

The link was useful, but I could not get to the right section of birth deaths and marraiges, he died in september 1981. My half sister married a bombay born Indian that studied Law in Harvard, USA,so I have no doubt that they had the tools to contact me, my sister Linda will not talk to me. I will try again to get a Bombay Death Certificate, because of the manner of his death being kept so hidden, and five properties and £100,000 pound going astray wth no legal interjection, I will try and push for a Police intervention should I have no joy. thank you

Awan-Legal and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the accept - yes it is worth investigating the matter and try to see if the police can investigate.

Good luck and hope all goes well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The information you gave me, I presume you think I am Indian,There is an office for obtaining death certificates from abroad in Britain, I am relatated as Iam my fathers daughter and his name is on my birth certificate, it is just a clever legal point that I am considered illegitamate, to prevent me being included in my father's will. So I feel having to contact the Indian Offices in Bombay not legal advice an English person would want to receive, or pay for.
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 5 years ago.


Thank you for contacting me again. The link to obtain death certificates can be acquired by any family member of the deceased in India, i.e. even if you are a British national - I assumed that because you were contacting the police authorities in India you may also be dealing with the authorities in India itself.

My apologies for the confusion - here is the link to obtain the death certificate from the Indian authorities in the UK:

I hope all goes well.