How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am purchasing a property in London as a UK citizen while

Resolved Question:

I am purchasing a property in London as a UK citizen while I am here in London. Nothing different there. However I am due to work in US for some months starting very soon, and the final signing/completion of the sale will not go through before I leave. How easy is it to complete the transaction while I am living in the US (NYC) please?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Provided you are able to meet in person with your conveyancing solicitor in the UK at the beginning of the conveyancing process then it will be very easy. All that you will have to do is verify your identity to them (passport/driving licence) and inform them of your travel plans.
They will then request that the form of contract and Land Registry Transfer form are agreed immediately so that you can sign engrossment versions in readiness for completion. They will not legally bind you at the time, they will just be held subject to your order so that you can exchange and then complete whilst you are away.

If you are out of the county on the day that you are to exchange contracts then your solicitor will contact you by telephone to get your formal authority to exchange contracts. They will then exchange and complete on the contractual date agreed.

If you are not able to meet with your solicitor at the start of the conveyance then it would be a bit trickier and would involved you taking the contract/transfer to a Notary in the US so that they can verify your signatures. The documents would then be sent to the UK and you could onlyt exchange once they are received by your solicitors. With a bit of forward planning it’s a necessary administrative inconvenience but no more than that.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you