How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Two years ago my tenent was made redundant and stop making

This answer was rated:

Two years ago my tenent was made redundant and stop making his payments.
I tried to finish the contract but the tenant apply for House Benefit Allowance
Currently The Council is paying the rent for my tenant.
The letting contrant period is finished (I have not given any notice)
I want to sell the property ASAP.
Is my aim to sell the flat a valid reason to terminate the contract?
What steps should I take to finish this contract?
Thanks for your question.
The fact that you wish to sell the property is not in itself a reason which gives you a right to terminate on less than the usual two months notice.

Because the fixed term of the tenancy agreement has expired it has now become a statutory periodic tenancy. This means that you must give the tenancy two months notice in the correct form:-

You will have to download from an internet provider a Section 21(4)(a) Housing Act 1988 notice. The notice period is two months with such notice to expire at the end of a rent period. Serve the notice in accordance with the notice on this page:-

It’s very important that the notice is in the correct from and that you serve it properly. The court will reject your application for possession if you fail on either front.

Once served and the notice period has expired you will have to apply to court for a possession order. You cannot evict her without a Court Order. The easiest way is online:-

If the tenant does not leave when the notice expires then you will have to apply to Court for a warrant for execution so that the Court bailiffs effect eviction.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions