UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

My neighbour and I both pay to have a water supply to our houses…

Customer Question
My neighbour and I both...
My neighbour and I both pay to have a water supply to our houses but in reality there is only one supply that enters my property and then splits of to supply my neighbour. This seems a little unfair and begs the question, "should we both be paying for a supply". The situation is compounded by the fact that the supply is very weak and if one of us turns on a tap then the other gets little or no water from their taps.
Can you tell me where we stand legaly with the water company please.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
3/2/2012
Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 6 years ago
James Mather
Would you please ask a specific question?

Please give me as much detail as possible.

I need a bit more information please. I am going off line shortly and will be on and off all day (experts on here are also practising lawyers) but will be back later (on and off) today when I will deal further once I have your reply.

Company is South East Water.

A single Stopcock and pipe supplies both property. The pipe enters my boundry line and comes up within the kitchen and a second stopcock. Once the water enters into my internal pipework there is then a join that then delivers water to my neighbour.

Water pressure is within the requirements as is the flow rate but we are only able to turn on one tap at a time/flush one toilet otherwise no water comes from any other taps.

I can see that between us we are probably using more water than one household but we are not metered and as only one of us can use a tap at any given moment then it seem to me that we are really only receiving one supply but are paying for two.

The water board say that flow and pressure are fine as far as the external stopcock and that the problem is old pipe from there to my house but as the pipe from this to my house runs under my other neighbours house there is little i can do to replace it. I've asked that they move the stopcock to outside my house so that I can fit new pipework from there and they came up with a figure of £1500 which i can not and do not wish to pay. I feel that I pay for them to supply water to my house and that the service I'm receiving is not up to a standard I expect.

Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 6 years ago

Have you both asked them to fit a water meter?

Who did this pipework? When?

Thanks

L

The pipe work was fitted before I moved in back in 2000.
I'm not sure if my neighbour has asked but if they were to complete my request then I'm guessing that they would have to provide my neighbour with a new supply at the same time.
Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 6 years ago

So has someone simply cut into your supply to avoid paying for a new one to the other house? Is each house seperately billed?

Who put the pipework in?

It seems to be relatively new.

Thanks

L

We are seperatly billed. I think the houses were possibly split from one building at some point and I'm guessing that whoever did this also fitted the pipe work. It should be noted that the neighbour on the other side was also on the same supply but had themselves split off. I do not know when this happened.
The neighbour who shares the supply have lived there less time than us.
Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 6 years ago

Thnaks. It sounds like whoever did this did it on the cheap to avoid paying for a dedicated supply. Usually each supply would come from the main and somone would have to pay for the installation.

Assuming that the supply is within standard then one property is faced with paying for a new supply although you may decide to split it between you.

However, I cannot see that one property haveing no flow when the other is using water is acceptable

You could both try asking for water meters and see what then happens.

Failing that you are faced with making a formal complaint and if that fails making complaint to OFWAT.

Please press accept and I will clarify any points. The question will not close and follow ups are at no extra charge.

Thanks

LD

James Mather
So are you saying that the water board can charge for a supply even when there is not one. Ie two charges for one supply.

I am well aware that I need to make a formal complaint but was hoping to find out if I actually had an argument.

I have previously asked for a meter but the response was that they could not give me one as I was on a shared supply and referred me to the quote of £1500 to split the supplies.
Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 6 years ago
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.