UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

If my neighbour pushes soil up against our boundary wall and…

If my neighbour pushes soil...
If my neighbour pushes soil up against our boundary wall and it pushes the wall over - whose responsibility is it to reinstate it ? The level of soil in my neighbour's land where it abuts the damaged/collapsed/collapsing boundary wall is upto 1.5 meteres higher than on my side of the wall - upto the height of the boundary wall in places. What are the legal
issues for my neighbour and for me ?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/1/2012
James Mather
Who is responsible for the boundary wall?

Please give me as much detail as possible.

I need a bit more information please. I am going off line shortly and will be on and off all day (experts on here are also practising lawyers) but will be back later (on and off) today when I will deal further once I have your reply.

Who is resonsible for the boundary wall - I'm not sure, it may be that my neighbour is. But, surely even if it is his responsibility - he can't push it over when he feels he needs to increase the level of his land within his boundary ?

Has he increased the level of the land? When? By how much?

If he has and you can prove that the raised level caused the problem repairing the wall is his responsibility even if it is jointly owned.

Please press acept and I will clarify any points. The question will not close. Thanks

LD

James Mather

The increasing of levels on his side has occured over the past 10 years. The increase in

levels as I have previously advised are as much as 1.5 metres and in the majority of the

length of the wall - it is as high as the wall.

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.