How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a property with has the title deeds in my maiden name

Resolved Question:

I have a property with has the title deeds in my maiden name - I have now married, how do I change these records to include my new married name ? And can I have the property registered to me and my new husband - as Mr and Mrs - rather than just me ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. IS there a mortgage on the property?

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No there is no mortage on this freehold property
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



You will have to draft a Transfer (form TR1) from you (in your married name) to your and your husbanr (which you will both have to sign as a deed (ie. witnessed) and you can download the template form from the land registry's website. You will have to submit this to the land registry with their form AP1, this is also downloadable from the website

by selecting from the "Forms" tab:-


You will have to send a copy of your marriage certificate with the AP1 form as well as the LR's fee (it should be £50.00)

You will probably have some questions on completing the form but the land registry's customer support service are very helpful to lay persons. A fee will be required and you can also ask them about that.


Please be advised though that you will be relinquishing half your rights in the property and he will gain rights of ownership so you couldn't evict him if you wanted to.


You will have to designate on the TR1 form if you wish to hold your interests as tenants in common (where upon death the interest passes according to the person's Will) or as joint tenants (where upon death the interest passes automatically to the other owner). You will also have to both complete Land Registry ID1 forms by going to a local solicitor to certify.




If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you