How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Mother died and left me 2 mortgage-free properties. Please

Resolved Question:

My Mother died and left me 2 mortgage-free properties.

Please tell me how I should go about getting the properties transferred into my name and what should it cost?

Many thanks!
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Has a grant of probate or letters of administration been obtained in your mother’s estate?

Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I have a grant of probate...


Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Is the property registered with the land registry ?


Customer: replied 5 years ago.



Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

In that case you will have to execute a Land Registry TR1 form entering the details of the property (including the title number for the property) transferring the property from the executors (as transferors) to you (as transferee). The consideration for the transaction will be nil, which I believe means that you will not be required to submit a stamp duty return to HMRC stamp taxes (but double check with them).

You will then have to execute a Land Registry AP1 form referring to the transfer and attach also Land Registry ID1 form (verifying your identity, by taking this form to a solicitor for each transferee/transferor). You should include the executed TR1 form as the doc uments to be sent and then send this to the LR office dealing with the title.

The forms are freely available from the LR website and their customers service line is very good if you have questions regarding the completion of the forms. They will then update the register in your favour and provide you with a Title Information Document confirming this.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions