How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my daughter split up from here partner 3 years ago and they

Customer Question

my daughter split up from here partner 3 years ago and they had a mortgage on a house.She has asked him a few times to have her name taken off the mortgage and he has dragged his feet.Is there any way she can have her name removed herself?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Is the property in quesiton in the USA?


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no in the uk
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


Are they married?


Is there any children of the relationship?



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no there are no children
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.




Thanks for your reply.

If she wants out of the property investment then either he wilfully remortgages (if he can) or she will have to apply to Court for an order for sale.

She can force the sale of the property by making (or posturing to make) an application to Court for an order for sale. If her ex partner cannot demonstrate sufficient finance to receive a mortgage offer to buy her out and transfer the equity in to his sole name then this may be her only option. A local solicitor would be able to do this for you and these orders are seldom refused by the Court if there are no children of the marriage and one party is on the mortgage and does not wish to be.


She should write to him expressing the above in the hope that he may contact the lender with regard to seeing if he can remortgage in to his sole name. If he does not respond then she should get a solicitor to write a letter before action to him re-stating the above.

In the absence of any express agreement (ie. A Declaration of Trust) there is presumption that the proceeds of sale are split equally, however if either party contributed more the financing of the purchase or has maintained the majority of the mortgage then this may be taken in to account and they will receive more of the proceeds of sale. It is usually better to negotiate and settle unless one party is being particularly unreasonable in their demands.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she does not want any money from him out off the house just her name off the morgage.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



It doesn't change the position, her options are as above just perhaps easier to negotiate if she does not seek to claim any of the equity.

The overall point is that she needs to get pro-active and formalise the matter by a letter from her, a letter from a solicitor if necessary and then an application to Court if necessary thereafter. It's the only thing that will compel him to act if her informal methods of dealing with him have no prospect of success.


Thanks for your acccept.

Kind regards,



Related UK Property Law Questions