How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7615
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a commercial lease with some arrears. If the landlord

Resolved Question:

I have a commercial lease with some arrears. If the landlord locks me out, can he still sue for the rent arrears?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

There will be a clause in your lease relating to termination/forfeiture. It will state that the landlord may re-enter the property if the rent is unpaid for a certain period of time (eg. 14 or 21 days). If he acts in accordance with the clause then he may re=enter and the lease is forfeit (terminated).

He can then sue you for your breaches of covenants (ie. to pay rent) this would include the period for which you have been locked out as well as the other rent that is unpaid. In actual fact the landlord would sue you for all the remaining rent under the lease. He would get judgement on the amount of rent he would have earned up to the point at which he could reasonably be expected to re-let the premises.

So, yes, I’m afraid he can still sue you for rent.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you