How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The lands previous owner has died and neighbours have moved

Resolved Question:

The lands previous owner has died and neighbours have moved how can i prove i bought it and obviously been using it for over 20 years
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for requesting me.


Is the solicitor who acted on the purchase of the land still around? Who is saying that the title deeds are lost?


Does the seller have children who can confirm the sale?


Are their no neighbours who can confirm you as using the land, or possibly other third parties (eg. friends)?

KInd regards,


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have made a statutory declaration twice for other buyers in the row regarding rights of way regarding vehicular access would that suffice. Reason being Ive lived here 35years
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Yes, but you would still have to do another stat dec now to speak to the ownership of the land and the fact that the deeds are lost.


Your solicitor will be able to do it for you. Try to think of any other sundry documentation that suggests your ownership of the land, this will also help.


The standard required to obtain possessory title is not onerously high, because it can be challenged, but if their are third parties who are prepared to swear stat decs then it will be helpful.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions