How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 25690
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tenant in commercial property no lease was signed

Resolved Question:

I have a tenant in commercial property no lease was signed so that if the tenant had money problems he could leave immediately. I now wish to use the property myself as he is persistently late with his rent. I have given him three months notice but am worried in case he decides not to leave. What are my rights in this matter
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! If you've any queries once you've read my answer do ask. When satisfied, kindly click the Green ACCEPT button.

If the tenant does not have a Lease, their occupation of the property will be governed by the Landlord & Tenant Act 1954 which implies a periodic tenancy which automatically renews at each rent period until ended by them or you as the landlord.

You will have to give them not less than 3 months notice to quit the property. You will need to serve notice under s25 notice of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954. From what you say you have done this and based on this you would then need to apply to court to get a possession order in the county court
Joshua and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you