How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, my husband and i have seperated, we are going to get a

This answer was rated:

Hi, my husband and i have seperated, we are going to get a divorce. Our problem is only his name is XXXXX XXXXX mortgage. He brought the house of my parents 3 years ago to help them out, they were still to stay there and pay the mortgage themselves. Me and my husband were renting somewhere else. Now me and our 2 children have moved back in with my parents. My husband wants me to have the house, that is not a issue, but i have bad credit and i know i would not be able to go and get a mortgage, is it possible thst my husband just signs the mortgage over to me?




Thanks for your question.

I'm afraid not, no. The lender has a first legal charge over the property which prevents your husband from transferring the mortgage/legal title to the property to anyone else without their consent. In order to get their consent their mortgage would have to be repaid, which would mean you getting a mortgage offer from a lender.


If you cannot get a mortgage then you will not be able to transfer the title to the proprerty in to your sole name.


Your husband may execute a declaration of trust which is a deed which states that although he is the legal owner of the property you own the 100% interest in any equity on the property. This would not alter the fact that he and he only is liable for the mortgage but it would provide you with a small measure of security until such time as you can refinance and/or sort out your own credit record to enable you to get a mortgage.


The execution of the declaration of trust would not stop him raising it as an issue in matrimonial financial settlement if you cannot settle amicably and it gets contentious though.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you