How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good Morning I have recently re-married after being widowed

Resolved Question:

Good Morning
I have recently re-married after being widowed a few years ago.Could somebody please advise the procedure to register my new wife as co-owner of our house ?
Thanking you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Stephen,


Thanks for your question.


Is there are mortgage on the property?


Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Tom,

Mortgage fully paid up 8 years ago.

Best Regards
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

In order to transfer the property you will have to draft a Transfer (form TR1) from you to your/your wife(which you will both have to sign as a deed (ie. witnessed) and you can download the template form from the land registry's website. You will have to submit this to the land registry with their form AP1, this is also downloadable from the website
by selecting from the "Forms" tab:-

You will probably have some questions on completing the form but the land registry's customer support service are very helpful to lay persons. A fee will be required and you can also ask them about that.

You can download a copy of the register for your property from the land registry's search engine to find the registered title number (which you will need to insert in to the AP1/TR1 form) of the property here:-
Enter the postcode for your property and if it is registered it will give you the option to download a copy of the register.

You could ask a local solicitor to prepare and submit it on your behalf. This would cost around £200.00+vat but would take all the legwork out of it if you do not have time to devote to the administrative burden

You should also call HMRC’s Stamp Duty Land Tax helpline on 0845(NNN) NNN-NNNNto check their requirements.

Importantly, though you will be giving up an interest in your property to your wife which you will not be able to recall. If you only wish to give a small percentage interest to her then you should see a local solicitor to deal with the transfer of equity and at the same time arrange for a declaration of trust to be signed between you which confirms the percentage extents of your respective interests in the property.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 4 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you