How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased the freehold of my house in 1967. It is not registered

Resolved Question:

I purchased the freehold of my house in 1967. It is not registered with the Land Registry.
How do I get it registered?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Do you hold the deeds for the property? Eg old conveyances, assents, grants of probate etc)
  • 2. Did you ever have a mortgage on the property

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The Deeds, in my and my wifes name, are in the bank held against a mortgage, long since repaid.

We have now moved our bank account and need to remove the Deeds. The new bank are not interested in safe custody without a mortgage so I need to get registered for peace and security.


Comments and advice welcome.

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.


In order to get a registered Title Absolute for freehold (ie. What 90% of freehold houses have) you will have to execute the Land Registry's FR1 from and send it to your local Land Registry Branch with the epitome of title.

The Epitome of title is a list of historic documents relating to your property and when it has been previously sold and bought. It traces the chain of ownership over the decades so that the LR can verify that they title to the property is yours and that you are entitled to have it registered in your names.


The are quite tricky to put together because the deeds are usually quite archaic in form and often haphazardly organised. A solicitor would be able to work it out in a very quick time. It would take you a lot longer. A solicitor would do this for you and prepare the application to the LR for less than £300+ Vat I would think.


Get the deeds from your Lender, then take them to a local property solicitor or convyancer and ask them how much they charged for first registration of title like this,


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you