How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7618
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cant afford to pay the arrears of 3,000 on my lease the

Resolved Question:

I cant afford to pay the arrears of £3,000 on my lease the landlord is serving a Section 146 notice what will happen now if I don't pay.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


You should take the notice as the landlord's intention to forfeit the lease and take possession of the property. Sometimes, landlords serve the notice to make sure the tenant's get the point in the hope that a difficult tenant will then settle the arrears, but usually it is a pre-cursor to forfeiture.


This means that the landlord takes possession of the property and your right to occupy the property under the Lease ceases.

The landlord will then have the option to sue you for the breach and claim the arrears and future rent from you.


Sorry it could not be better news.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you