How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a partner who is not registered as a part owner of my

Resolved Question:

i have a partner who is not registered as a part owner of my property nor contributes to any household bills including morgage, sometimes contributes to food. they stay between 4 and 6 nights per week and keep basic belongings at my property ( not full wardrobe or belongings ), they have their own flat which is only rented. i wanted to know at what point if any in these circumstances could they claim matrimonal rights on MY property.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. You refer to matrimonial rights - please confirm whether you are married
  • 2. Do they contribute rent
  • 3. Did they contribute to the original finance to purchase the property

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.



no - i am not married

no - partner does not contribute to morgage

no - partner did not contribute to original purchase of the property

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your reply.



The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/foof to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.


Provided she has not contributed more money in payment for food than she would have otherwise paid in private rented accommodation for rent/bills/food then she would not be advised to make a claim against your property. I assume that she has not been buying extremely expensive food!


This will remain the case until you marry.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions