How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

please i need help and dont know what to do my ex and i have

This answer was rated:

please i need help and dont know what to do my ex and i have split up two years a go
and live in the same house i want him to leave and he tells me he wants half of my house
what can i do


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Who is named on the registered title to the property


Kind regards.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my name only all payment for morg by me d/debit

Has he contributed any rent to you?


Did he finance the initial purchase of the property to any extent?


Has he carried out extensive repairs to the property?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no rent paid no deposit i used from last sale of my hse he did a through lounge/dine which we paid half on he had a mate put in windows cost of 1200 which i paid half and painted lounge carpets and fruniture me in whoule house at present he pays council tax and gas bill that come every three months thats it

What was the value of his contribution to the through lounge works please

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
he has spent approx 4/6 grd i think





Thanks for your question.


I think you need to speak to a solicitor in your area directly about this.

Basically, you can serve him with a notice to vacate the property referring to the property, your ownership of it, his period of residence there and that you require him to vacate the property by a certain date. You are obliged to give him "reasonable notice" of this, so it depends on how long he has been living there. I would think that 2 months from the date of the notice would be sufficient. It should probably be sent to him at your address by registered post so that you have proof of postage.


If he does not leave after the notice period has expired then you will have to make an application to Court for an order for possession


Because of his financial contribution to the works at the property he may be advised to make a claim on the property under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act. This is quite expensive for him to do. He will not be able to claim half the value of the property though, he would only be able to claim (if he is successful) for the value of his contribution to the works.

So you can see that there are two issues and for this reason I would suggest seeing a property solicitor about writing to him in the hope that the issue as to the works can be resolved informally and at the same time serve him with a notice.


You can find local solicitors using:-


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

thank you i have spoken to soolictor




the web page did the bonus go through



Thanks for your kind accept.

I wish you the best of luck.


I cannot see that any bonus you intended to put through went through, but don't worry too much about that.


Kind regards,