How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I live at 2 harrow house wick and was wondering who

Customer Question


I live at 2 harrow house wick and was wondering who owned the land next to me in the harmsworth park
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


You can do this by accessing Land Registry records. If you have a postcode or an address for the property, enter it in to the following search engine and if the property is identified you can pay to download a copy of the register for the title:-


The register will cost £4.00 and you will be able to find out who owns it and whether there are interests registered against the title.


If you cannot locate the owner in this way then you will have to submit an index map search to the Land Registry by sending their Form SIM to them attaching a copy of a map with the area you want searched against edged in red. The form can be downloaded from here:-


They will then return confirming the title numbers of the land, you can then download the registers of those title numbers in the same way as above to find out who owns the land.


I hope this helps, if so please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If nobody owns it can the council sell any of i
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Someone will historically own the land. If it is the council then they can sell it to whomever they like.

If it is someone else and the council require the land then they would have to go through the compulsory purchase process, which is extremely complicated.


Trust this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if ground has been donated to the community of wick and council maintain it how dose it stand for who owns it
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Please click accept and I shall answer your follow up question.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your accept.


Firslty, I'm not sure who the "community of wick" are in that I'm not sure that they are a legal entitly in the same way that a private individual or a council are. The donation may fail for that reason.


If in fact the community of wick is in reality the council then they can do what they like with the land.


If a person who is not the owner of land has occupied and treated the land as if it there was own for 10 years (if the land is registered) or 12 years (if the land is unregistered) then they may be able to claim it as their own by proving adverse possession to the .land registry.


I would find out who owns the land first and then come back to me.


Kind regards,


Related UK Property Law Questions