How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have no business lease on property that i rent from a landlord.

Customer Question

i have no business lease on property that i rent from a landlord. i have been here for at least 4 years and always paid on time with records to show this. do i have any rights?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

If you do not have a lease then you are occupying the properyt on either a licence or tenancy at will. This means that you have a right of occupation of the premises but the landlord could recover possession of the property by applying to Court for an order after serving you "reasonable notice". In view of the length of time you have been there this would be 1-2 months.


If you wish to have security of tenure you should negotiate the terms of a lease and then have one drafted to execute.



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

so would the landlord have to give us notice first then if we do not leave the premises after this notice period then she has to apply for a court order to make us move?


additionally, does the notice she gives us have to be in writing or just verbal?





Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Your first statement is correct.


A verbal notice may suffice but they would have to prepare a Witness Statement attesting to it.