How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PortsmouthLaw Your Own Question
PortsmouthLaw, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 255
Experience:  I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
PortsmouthLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two investment properties in the UK. Both have relatively

This answer was rated:

I have two investment properties in the UK. Both have relatively small mortgages (approximately 50% of current asset values).
I now live in Australia and will be setting up a Family Trust, to disctribute investment income to children and optimize tax thresholds).
Ideally I would transfer both UK properties into the Trust, so that rental income can be shared.

Would HSBC / RBS entertain assignment of mortagage into trust, underwritten by Trustees (including myself)???

PortsmouthLaw :


PortsmouthLaw :

Why do you need to assign the properties and the mortgages to the Trust? If you retain ownership of the properties there is no reason why you should not execute a Declaration of Trust, saying that you no longer hold the properties as beneficial owner but as Trustee for the Family Trust. After paying the mortgages out of income received, you pass the remainder into the Trust's bank account. You would remain owner of the legal estate in the properties but the equitable interest would ahve passed to the Trust. In that way you need not involve HSBC/RBS. If you were to ask the question of either, my experience suggests that the answer would be negative.

PortsmouthLaw :

Hope this answers your question. If so, please click "accept" but do come back for more informationif you need to

PortsmouthLaw and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you