How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how does my partener stand by changing the locks to her house,

Customer Question

how does my partener stand by changing the locks to her house, jointly owned with her husband who moved out three months ago.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


If both are named as registered proprietors on the legal title to the property at the Land Registry then she will not be able to deny him access to the property by changing the locks.


If jointly named then each party has a right of access to the property which neither can deny the other. This remains the case until there is a Court Order to the contrary I'm afraid (ie. stating that one should not be permitted to access the property.

Should she change the locks then he can simply download LR official copies showing their joint ownership and attend with a locksmith to change them back. He could also probably sue her for the costs of this.


Sorry it could not be better news.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If she says he can have access while she is present can she withhold him from having keys
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your kind accept.


No, I'm afraid she is not able to withhold keys or otherwise restrict his access to the property unless there is a court order to the contrary.

Kind regards,