How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7618
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There is a plot of land near to our home that is unregistered

This answer was rated:

There is a plot of land near to our home that is unregistered on the land registry website. Furthermore there are no details at all on it. The land is overgrown and has been in that state for many years. Am I able to make a claim for it? It does not share a boundary with our land but is about 10 metres away at the corner of the plot.



If the land in question is unregistered then you must have been using it continuously for 12 years in order to claim possession of it and be registered as the registered proprietor at the Land Registry


If you have not been using the land as your own for this period of time then you will not be able to make a claim on it. If you wish to make a claim on the land then you should enclose the land with some simply form of partition and tend to the land. I would make sure that you get an independent third party to witness the enclosure and subsequent tending so that they can swear a statutory declaration to that effect later.

You would have to submit form ADV1 to the Land Registry together with sworn statutory declarations regarding how long you have been using the land (from you and others who know of your use) and it may be something over which you should consider taking specific legal advice from a local solicitor to ensure that the application and supporting documentation is drafted correctly.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you