How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter lives in a property owned by me. Can I transfer

This answer was rated:

My daughter lives in a property owned by me. Can I transfer title to her at nil value, would stamp duty have to be paid on the market value?



Thanks for your question.


You can transfer the title to your property to your daughter (provided there is no mortgage on the property) at nil value consideration without SDLT being chargeable. Here is the HMRC confirming the same:-


Provided you no longer live at the property the transfer would be a potentially exempt transfer for IHT purposes, meaning that if you die after 7 years of the date of the transfer no IHT would be chargeable. If you live at the property then the transfer would be a 'gift with reservation of benefit' and the whole of the value of the property would be chargeable for IHT.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you