How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PortsmouthLaw Your Own Question
PortsmouthLaw, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 255
Experience:  I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
PortsmouthLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Rent Act Tenant ( 1st July 1983) with no rent arrears.

Resolved Question:

I am a Rent Act Tenant ( 1st July 1983) with no rent arrears. My original agreement states 'the letting will be for a term of six months and shall continue thereafter from month to month. My landlord has served me a Notice to Quit via a solicitor. There are no grounds given. Date due out 31st March 2011. There is no other accommodation available to me. Can I fight this and win ?

Many thanks

Chris F.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  PortsmouthLaw replied 6 years ago.

PortsmouthLaw :

Hi XXXXX tenancies were not invented until 1988 so that in order to succeed in regaining possesion of the property, the landlord must show that one of the grounds for ordering possession in schedule 2 of the Housing Act 1988 applies. Furthermore the notice must be in a set form, which specifies the ground or grounds in schedule 2 that the landlord is relying on and setting out briefly the facts on which he is relying to prove the ground(s) set out. The notice that has been served on you appears to be defective. In giving this answer,I have assumed that you are not living in the same building as the landlord. I hope this answers your question. If so, please click "accept" but do come back for more information if you need to

PortsmouthLaw and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you