How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7610
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am owed money by a personal creditor.How can i apply for

Resolved Question:

I am owed money by a personal creditor.How can i apply for a legal charge on their property
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi. ,


Have you obtained judgement from the Court on the debt?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No court summons issued.I thought this course of action or threat of this course of action might persuade her to pay as her partner is unaware of the debt and she doesn't want him to find out about it.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

A charging order is a form of enforcement available to creditors who have obtained judgement in respect of the debt.


If you wish to make efforts to recover the monies then you might ask a local civil litigation to write a letter before action asking for repayment of the monies under the terms you had previously agreed otherwise you shall issue a claim in respect of th debt. It would give them around 14 days to respond and would cost around £50+Vat. it may prompt their seeking to resolve the dispute and if it does this is a small cost to pay to avoid litigating.


If they do not respond then you may be forced to issue proceedings, you can do this yourself through but if the claim is complicated or for a considerable sum of money you may choose to instruct a solicitor to act on your behalf.


Once you have obtained judegment on the debt you can seek to enforce it by way of a charging order over the debtor's property if you wish. Info here:-



If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions