How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do i get a previous partner removed from my title deed

This answer was rated:

how do i get a previous partner removed from my title deeds



Does the person consent to being removed?


Is there a mortgage on the property?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the person does not know yet but i think she will consent. there is no mortgage on the property i purchased it outright for cash



Thanks for your reply.


If the person consent to the transfer of the property from your joint names in to your sole names then you will have to execute and Land Registry transfer form (TR1, available for download from the LR website). There are some guidance notes that can help you complete it and the LR customer service helpline is very useful for lay persons.


Once you have executed the TR1 form you will have to send it with and application to change the registered title of the property using the LR's form AP1 (also available for download) and submitting the LR's fee by cheque. If the transfer is for nil consideration (ie. no money is being paid to your partner for the transfer) then I believe this will be £50.00.


If you partner does not consent to the transfer without having being paid some money then you will have to negotiate. In the absence of any agreement to the contrary (ie. a declaration of trust deed executed at the time by you both) then it is presumed that each party owns a 50% share of the property. This can be rebutted but each case turns on it's own facts and litigating over this can be quite expensive.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you