How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am looking to rent a business unit over a period of five

Resolved Question:

i am looking to rent a business unit over a period of five years with deposit of 2000 rent abou 9999 per yr will get a few months rent free I need a solicitor and am not sure who specialises in this field and also how much that would cost
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your questions.


Almost all medium size high street practices will have a commercial property department who deal with grant of lease like yours. Each solicitor in those departments will specialize in this field. You can use the following Law Society website search engine to find a list of firms near you. You can then check the firm's page to see the size. Select your postcode and "commercial properly" as the area of law from the drop down menu:-


If you let me know your local area I will see if I can recommend a specific firm.


You should be looking at paying between £700-1,000.00 for them to act on your behalf and I would try and pin them down on a fixed fee. You will also require commercial searches of the local authority, water and drainage supplier together with an environmental search the total cost of which will be around £350 and a land registry fee of £50.00 to have the lease noted against the freehold title as a notice (if the landlord agrees). As the the term of the lease is less than 7 years it will not generate it's own separate land registry title.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you