How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We want to do a long term AST for a property we want to rent

Resolved Question:

We want to do a long term AST for a property we want to rent from a landlord. Ideal for us is to rent for two year period without giving the landlord an option to break. Is this possible in an AST?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Yes, it's perfectly possible. There is nothing in law preventing such a AST and in fact this is quite common.


A Landlord would not be able to resist your request on the grounds of it being not legally possible but it is obviously a matter of what you can negotiate with the landlord. They may seek detailed references or proof of income if you wish to receive a tenancy on those terms.


It's a matter of negotiation, not law.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you