How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Not sure if this is property law question or relationship If

Resolved Question:

Not sure if this is property law question or relationship?
If an unmarried couple buy a property together and he puts a 50% deposit and has a document drawn up to say he provided that deposit. When they split what proportion of the increase in value of the propery has the partner without deposit entitled to receive?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



The document you are referring to is called a declaration of trust and would usually be drafted then executed upon completion by the conveyancer acting in the purchase.

The terms of the declaration of trust - whether they are to receive a fixed sum or a proportional one depending on the increase in equity - would be for you to agree between each other and then pass appropriate instructions to the conveyancer on how it should be drafted.


In the absence of any such declaration of trust it is presumed that each party holds a 50% share each in the equity of the property.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you