How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Smith Your Own Question
Daniel Smith
Daniel Smith, Daniel Smith
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4035
Experience:  JustAnswer
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Daniel Smith is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A neighbour has decided to park his caravan on the driveway

This answer was rated:

A neighbour has decided to park his caravan on the driveway in front of his house and directly opposite ours, meaning our view has been totally changed from the front of our property. They have not had the decency to talk to us about this, just widened their drive and parked the caravan on the driveway. There is a covenant on our houses forbidding the parking of caravans, boats etc between the wall of the house and the road, this caravan is in breach of this covenant. The people living in this house have only been here for a year and are the second owners of the house, do they have to abide by the covenant? Can we do anything to get this caravan removed as it has spoiled our view (of 10 years) and will reduce the vaule of our house. It is also a security risk, as it is an advertisement to thieves when the caravan moves that they are away. We also have a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme in place, it is very hard to watch a neighbourhood when large caravans are in the way. I appreciate your help with this.
Hi there. Yes, there is something you can do!

The covenant to which you refer, by being restrictive in nature, will be enforceable against successors in title and therefore against your recently new neighbours. However, as this is a private law issue (not involving the council) you would have to go to Court in the absence of them seeing sense and removing it. It sounds pretty straight-forward though if your land has the benefit of he restrictive covenant. Get a high street solicitor to write to them and just review the deeds to make sure all is in order.

Good luck with it!
Daniel Smith and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you