How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I have been looking for a new place to rent with my family. We

Resolved Question:

I have been looking for a new place to rent with my family.
We have found a few places and been accepted for 2 we are looking at our options still.
I am interested, out of the Blue one Tenant Check agency asked my (in the abcense of an accountant) to provide my last tax return !!
I was told quite clearly that if I did not provide it I would not pass the Referencing, obviously I am not about to give some "Agent" for some "Agency" my tax return, my god you needa court order to see these things, quite apart from the privacy / identity theft issues...
This must be border line illegal, they have taken £500 deposit from us as have other agencies while we choose our new home, is this not just a bit .... well ... Odd ? Legaly I mean ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Yes, asking for your tax return is probably excessive but it is up to agents what their referencing criteria is just as it is up to you to decide whether or not to comply with them or not. There is little you can do to try to enforce a change in their policy regrettably but if they refuse to give you your deposit back then you would possibly have a case under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts regulations for the return of the deposit.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They came back and declined me as a tenant, I passed the credit check but they wanted to look at my Tax return, they now want to with hold my holding deposit or part of it to pay for their services...
This is illegal isn't it ?

Related UK Property Law Questions