How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandad got the right to buy his council property 5 yrs

This answer was rated:

My grandad got the right to buy his council property 5 yrs ago at a reduced pro usice. My husband and i raised the money and bought the property on his behalf on the condition that once the house could be sold or transferred it would be transfered into our names as we had effectively bought the property at a reduced rate. How would we go about transferring the property into our names? Can this just be done as a simple transfer of names or would he have to declare it as a gift to us and if so what does that entail?

thank you


Hi Sarah,


Could you confrim that the property is registered in your father's name?


Is there a mortgage on the property?


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The property is registered in my grandads name and there is no mortgage on the property as my husband and i took out a loan and bought the property outright (the loan has been paid off also). We bought the house at a reduced price of £14k and the house has been valued at £110k





Hi Sarah,


Thanks for your question.


You will have to prepared a TR1 transfer deed and complete it. You can download it from the Land Regsitry link I'll give you in a minute.


This should be submitted to the Land Registry office dealing with the title of the property along with a completed form AP1 (which you can also download from the link):-


If you do not know the title number to the property then you can pay £4.00 to download a copy of the register from the following site, it will also note the land registry office dealing with the property:-


Needless to say your father must consent and sign the transfer form.


If the transfer is for no money then you should state that in the transfer and you would not have to submit a return form to HMRC in respect of stamp duty.


If you have any questions on the completion of the forms then you should call the Land Registry's customer services number, they are very helpful


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions