How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

spliting up ...not maried...but been with her for 17years and

This answer was rated:

spliting up ...not maried...but been with her for 17years and own a house, in togeather...wot do i do...she is sleeping with a new guy...but lives in are house...i want to get her out...



Thanks for your question.


I'm very sorry but if you are both named as registered proprietors of the property on the land registry title then you both have a right to remain there which neither of you can deny the other. If you want her out then you are simply going to have to reason and negotiate with her.

If you agree that one of you shall take over the house/mortgage in their sole name then that person would have to demonstrate sufficient income so that they receive a mortgage offer. If there is also equity in the property then it may be that the person who is coming off the mortgage requires a sum of money to be paid to them to account for their share of the equity in the property. IN the absence of a agreement directing otherwise there is a presumption that you own the property in 50:50 shares.

If the persons proposing take over the mortgage cannot receive a mortgage offer in their sole name then the other person can make an application at Court for an Order for sale so that they can be released of their mortgage responsibilities and realise their share of the equity. These orders are seldom refused by the Court I'm afraid.


I am very sorry it could not be better news. You have my sympathies, it's a very difficult situation.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just asked new thing

I believe another expert has answered your further question. Please advise if this is not the case.