How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On taking on a tenancy of a furnished flat, we have found that

Resolved Question:

On taking on a tenancy of a furnished flat, we have found that it was fifthy dirty ,had broken appliances, furniture and mould. Although all this has been reported to letting agency nothing so far has been done. No one has looked at the property or gone through an inventory with us. Also we have not been given a tenancy deposit scheme certificate of registration. Everyone seems to be passing the buck and continuing to take the rent.Can you advise?
I am about to write formal letter and copy in all parties involveed need to know whether there are any specifics I can put in this to strengthen my case. thank you
Submitted: 7 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.


Do you want to know if you can terminate the tenancy, or just how to go about enforcing your rights?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How to go about enforcing our rights
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Sorry for the delay in replying.


You should formally write to the landlord (copying in agent) specifying the disrepair, making a list of the reasonable repair required and ask that he make those repairs within a reasonable time (eg. 14 days). State that if the landlord does not make the repair within that time you will pay to have the repairs made and will seek to claim the expense from him and are prepared to make an application to court if necessary.

If the landlord does not make the repair you can pay to have it done and then write formally to him requesting the payment of the cost, again within a reasonable time). If he does not pay you can issue a claim for the money yourself through Her Majesty Courts Service's online service:

Its pretty cheap and straightforward to use, very suitable for your purposes.


Do not withhhold rent for the cost of the repairs - you may inadvertently entitle the landlord to serve notice for possession upon you.


In a separate letter you request your certificate of registration for the deposit within 7 days or, if not (eg. if it has been lost/misplaced) then reference details of the scheme so that you can check it yourself. State that if it is not forthcoming then you are aware that you can apply to Court for the return of the deposit and fine of three times the deposit amount payable by the landlord to you and that if no information is received then you will avail yourself of this right.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,





Thomas and 3 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you