How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I brought a house in September 2008.My father lent me 42k

Resolved Question:

I brought a house in September 2008.My father lent me £42k for a deposit. I brought the house for £240k.

My partner moved in in March 2009. He started contributing to the mortgage in May 2009. This month he will give my father £42k so this will be his stake in the house.

The house was rently valued at £269k. We want to ensure that should we separate in teh future we divide the house failry between the two of us.

What is the fairest way to go about working out from now who owns what? (from this point on we are going 50/50 on everything). I would obviously want some equity in the house as I brought it and it is now worth more.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



It's up to you to decide between each other how much equity each should receive in the event that the property is sold really, though it would seem sensible for you to receive a share of equity in the proportion which you have contributed (ie. 296-42) or perhaps a bit more if you partner has contributed to the mortgage repayments though if the amount they have paid is less than the rent that they would have to pay were they not living in the property then the increase should not be too big.


Is your partner to be named on the title and mortgage to the property or will they simply be living there?



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions