How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tenant has failed to pay rent. Now four months in arrears -

Resolved Question:

Tenant has failed to pay rent. Now four months in arrears - notice to quit has been issued and has now expired. What do we do now to regain occupancy of property?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



You've got to obtain an order for possession from the Court. This is an Order from a Judge which requires the tenant to vacate. If they do not then you can ask for a warrant for exection from the Court so that their Bailiffs remove the tenant.


If you have a written tenancy agreement for an assured shorthold tenancy agreement and a copy of the notice then you can use the acceleratede possession procedure so that the order is made without the need for a formal Court hearing. You will have to complete a form and submit it to Court and I attach the relevant link to Her Majesty's Courts Service page for the form:-


You will also see that there are some guidance notes on the form. If you run in to difficulty you can just call your local Court about completing the form - they are usually pretty helpful, particulaly with lay persons.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you