How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my tenancy says it is for 6 months and ends at the of this

Resolved Question:

my tenancy says it is for 6 months and ends at the of this month. landlord did say we could stay on a monthly basis but has now changed his mind & wants us to leave in 7 days at end of the 6 months, no section 21 has been served & we do not have this in writing only verbally also I am pretty sure that he has not used one of the 3 deposot schemes & just kept it can he kick us out or does he have to give us 2 months notice
Submitted: 7 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



You are under no obligation to vacate the property at the expiry of the fixed term - if the has not served the s21 notice then he cannot apply for an order for possession from the Court. It would be thrown out.


He has to serve you the s21 notice giving two months.


Check the tenancy deposit - ask for details of the tenancy deposit scheme in to which it has been placed. If it has not been so placed you can sue the landlord for the return of the deposit and three times the deposit amount (assuming you are occupying under an assured shorthold tenancy).


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions