Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

my tenancy says it is for 6 months and ends at the of this

my tenancy says it is for 6 months and ends at the of this month. landlord did say we could stay on a monthly basis but has now changed his mind & wants us to leave in 7 days at end of the 6 months, no section 21 has been served & we do not have this in writing only verbally also I am pretty sure that he has not used one of the 3 deposot schemes & just kept it can he kick us out or does he have to give us 2 months notice
Submitted: 7 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

You are under no obligation to vacate the property at the expiry of the fixed term - if the has not served the s21 notice then he cannot apply for an order for possession from the Court. It would be thrown out.

He has to serve you the s21 notice giving two months.

Check the tenancy deposit - ask for details of the tenancy deposit scheme in to which it has been placed. If it has not been so placed you can sue the landlord for the return of the deposit and three times the deposit amount (assuming you are occupying under an assured shorthold tenancy).

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom