How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mum had a stroke and I had to vacate the property prior

This answer was rated:

My mum had a stroke and I had to vacate the property prior to end of contract but I made a verbal agreement with the landlord through the local letting agency to get my bond back.
The manager has now left the company and his new replacement won't honour the agreement.



Did you occupy the property under an assured shorthold tenancy agreement?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. My first 6-month contract had finished and I had extended by another 6 months.

Right. The deposit should have been lodged with a tenancy deposit scheme so request the relevant details of the scheme, including the deposit reference number. If it has not been lodged then you will be eligible to apply for the return of the whole of the deposit and a fine payable by the landlord to you of three times the deposit amount. See a local landlord and tenant solicitor if this is the case.

Each scheme has a dispute resolution service and you will have to call the scheme in order to find out how to initiate it. Your argument will be based on the verbal statement made to you and it depends whether this is accepted or not. If it is not accepted then they will likely be able to keep the whole of the deposit so try and be as specific as you can about when the statement was made.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions