How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My landlord did not put my deposit or my housemates deposit

This answer was rated:

My landlord did not put my deposit or my housemates deposit into a 3rd party deposit holding scheme and is now refusing to return the money to us and has failed to do so after being moved out of the property for 1 one month. What are my (and my housemates) options?


Did you occupy the property under an assured shorthold tenancy agreement?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i believe so, but im not 100% as i dont have the contract we signed in front of me. but we did sign a contact

How much was the annual rent?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
£520 between 3 people a month.

Right. It will be an assured shorthold tenancy agreement unless you received a notice before you executed the agreement which specifically stated that it was not to be an AST.


All deposits under ASTs have to be lodged with a tenancy deposit scheme. If it has not been then you are eligible to make an application to Court for the return of the whole of the deposit and a fine payable from the landlord to you of three times the deposit amount .


Specifically request details of the TDS into which the landlord lodged it. If he cannot provide this then you need to go and see a local landlord and tenant solicitor about making an application to Court for the aforementioned monies.


You can L&T solicitors in your area by using the following Law Society search engine:-


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you