How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7614
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We own a bungalow in Wales which has been my mothers main

Resolved Question:

We own a bungalow in Wales which has been my mother's main residence since 1984 and has never paid any rent etc. She was admitted to hospital in January after a fall in which she broke her hip (she is 96 years of age). She is still in hospital but transfer to a nursing home is imminent. However, if she hates it there is may be possible for her to go back to the bungalow with full-time carers. Where do we stand as regards XXXXX XXXXX tax in regards XXXXX XXXXX the bungalow if mum agrees to stay in the home? How long can the property be left empty?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Assuming you did not have any other chargeable gains for the year then any gain after deducting your respective personal allowances (£10100.00 per person) would taxed at a rate of 18% up to £37, 400.00 and 28% thereafter.


It is your prerogative whether the home is occupied or not.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Tom


I don't understand. I was under the impression that if one owned a second property which was somebody's main residence then there would be no capital gains tax on selling the property if it was sold within six months of it laying empty. Am I completely wrong?!!


What are chargeable gains?



Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Hi Jenny,


You have main Private Rresidence relief for your main home which means that if you sold your home and moved in to rented accomodation then the proft you made on the sale would not be subject to CGT. CgT is paid on selling second properties though I'm afraid.


Chargeable gains are the amount of profit you make on selling aproperty. So if you bought your home for £50, 000 and sold it for £100, 000 the chargeable gain would be £50000.00


I hope this clarifies if so please click accept.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you