How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I take a charge over a domestic property where I am

This answer was rated:

How do I take a charge over a domestic property where I am lending a friend the full amount to buy it?



Have you already lent the money to the person?


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Morning Tom,

He would like to complete this week,




Right. You've got to insist that a charge is executed before you transfer the money to him. I would always recommend seeing a solicitor to act on your behalf to ensure that the charge - which will probably be in the form of a Land Registry CH1 form (available for download from the LR website: - is drafted properly and executed (ie. signed and dated).


This charge should then be registered against the Land Registry title at the same time as when your friend applies for registration of the title in to his name.


Without an executed charge and it being properly registered at the Land Registry you are on very shaky ground indeed and I would not transfer the money without first having executed the charge - you would be accepting a huge amount of risk


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions