UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

Dear Sir/ Madam Recently a new street lamp program has

Customer Question
Dear Sir/ Madam Recently a...
Dear Sir/ Madam

Recently a new street lamp program has been implemented by my local council. The new lamp columns have been installed inside the pavement - aligned against the properties. Due to the narrow size of our front garden and the size of the new Lamp column, it now appears directly outside my main bedroom window. I wrote to the council to ask them to consider my situation - I have just recovered from a serious illness and am a very light sleeper. The council reply was that EU law requires the new lamp column to be put in this new location. Although it was placed so near to the residents’ properties it is still in a public place and so I should “just get on with and say nothing”.

When we do something to our own property we have to ask the council's permission, but when the council does something affect our property, they do not need our permission. I don’t understand why the law is one way in this supposedly democratic society. I also don’t understand why the people in Brussels - miles away from England - get tell us how to install the lights on our streets. Any law is set up to protect people and improve people’s quality of life. In this case, the normal residents’ basic sleeping rights have been affected. Surely this law needs to be changed! I did some investigation and the local council have spent millions to install these street lights. According to them, these lights are very powerful – so why then, does our quiet road require so many?Our road is about 100 meters long but there are about six of these big and tall lamp columns.

Also they installed a new traffic warning sign outside of our property without a proper cosultation with us.

I have been contact to the local council but not sucess. Could I take them to the court and what kind of chance that I will win the case.

Many thanks

Mrs Mao
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
6/29/2010
Solicitor: Ben Solicitor, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Ben Solicitor
Ben Solicitor, Solicitor
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.