UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

I split with my husband 12 years ago, he never paid the mortgage…

Customer Question
I split with my husband...
I split with my husband 12 years ago, he never paid the mortgage on our house and it went into arrears, the house was then sold at a loss, leaving a debt of about £9000.
I have been paying this debt £20 monthly for at least the past 10 years, while my ex husband has paid nothing, the solicitors have his address but have not been able to contact him to get any money.
They are now pressurising me to up my monthly payments and are asking for a breakdown of all my finances to see if i can afford to pay more and they have now passed it on to there legal dept. Obviously I dont want to pay more because i dont want to pay his debt, when he is clearly avoiding them.
My question is, do I have any rights? or have I just got to accept this and keep paying?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
6/28/2010
Solicitor: Clare, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Clare
Clare, Solicitor

hi

has there been a divorce at all?

claire

<p>Yes, we were divorced 1999.</p><p>I also re-married the same year.</p>

hi

how much is still owed

claire

There is still £6079 owed on the debt, but they said that if me and my husband dont give them a breakdown of our finances, then there client could add on some interest charges, which apparently amount to over £5000.