UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

I have signed a ast with a letting agency, who have in turn…

Customer Question
I have signed a ast...
I have signed a ast with a letting agency, who have in turn placed a dss tenant into a property, its been 3 months now and i haven't recieved any rent, not even a deposit. The letting agency are telling me that redbridge council are saying that they require more information from the tenant. Is my contract still valid with the agency? bearing in mind I have not recieved any monies from anyone.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
6/28/2010
Solicitor: Thomas, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer

Thanks for yoru question.

If the agency are permitted to execute tenancy agreements on your behalf under your agreement with them and the tenancy has been executed properly then it will be binding upon both you and the tenant.

If the tenant is supposed to pay you directly, albeit after have received monies from the Council, then you will be able to sue them for the rent oustanding and on the remaining tenancy agreement, together with your costs. You would be unlikely to get judgement for the whole amount of the rent remaining on the tenancy because the court would form the view that you should mitigate your loss by finding a replacement tenant following eviction. You would probably get one or two months from the date of eviction.

If the tenant is not able to arrange to clear the arrears and the notice expires then you will have to apply to Court for an order for possession so that the Court bailiffs can evict the tenant.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer

Tom

I believe the agency made a false statement when I first arranged the agreement with them ( just to claify, my contract is with the agency and not the tenant ) I asked them that I did not want housing benefit tenants because of Redbridge Councils poor record in payments and process of work, I have had problems with the council payment department before. The agency assured me that the tenant was a decent one with no housing benefit issues to slow the process down and that she had been recommended to them through another London Borough Council. Is there anything in Law to protect the landlord from false statments?

Hardev Gill

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.