UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

Rights regarding electricity in private rental accommodation…

Me and my partner moved...
Me and my partner moved into a private rented flat a few months ago. We noticed the pound meter for the electricity wasnt working, but we still had electricity. We informed the landlord who said he would come and replace the meter on a set date. We waited but he didnt arrive. two weeks later we seen him and he said he would be round in two days but again didnt show. the following day we went out, on coming back we noticed we had a new meter but nothing letting us know he was coming or had been. This new meter has no label from a company on it and we are worried we might be being overchaged
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2010
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Have you spoken to the landlord?
No, everything gets dealt with through the agent, we spoke to the landlord about changing the meter but we dont have a number for him and i tol the agent i wasnt happy about him not informing us he was going to be here, she said she would speak to him but that she knew nothing about it, we havent heard anything since.

sorry, I don't understand your earlier post.

You think you are being overcharged for electricity?

well we are not sure what is going on with the electricity really. We have been told that the meter should have a label on it from the supplier, which it doesnt. Also we have been told that the landlord cannot install the meter it needs to be installed by national grid or the actual company. We werent here when the landlord/electrician came to install it and were not informed that he had been. We think that the landlord may be paying the electric himself and using the meter to collect the money from us because when the meter wasnt working we still had electric and to my knowledge he is not allowed to make a profit from any utilities. We spoke to the agent but she doesnt know anything about this and we are just wondering if we can request to see a copy of the electric bill or if we can request to pay the electric in a different way/directly as a coin meter seems a very outdated method.

The other thing is that we are going on holiday soon and are worried that the landlord will just let himself in if he pleases and we will be unaware.

If the charges are high then there's probably a debt on it. You can find that out by asking the provider. If there is a debt on it you should refuse to pay it unless the debt is yours.

You can ask the landlord to let you pay in a different way but he's unlikely to agree. Metres have the advantage of preventing tenants running up debt and disappearing.

The landlord should not let himself in but unless he causes damage in some way there would be no claim.

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Does the landlord have to inform us of the provider if we ask as i said there is no label on the meter so we do not know who is providing the electricity. As i said above the meter wasnt working for 3 months and so we only paid £11 for the whole time. We informed the landlord within the first 2 weeks of moving in, is he able to charge extra to make up for that even though he took 3 months to change the meter.... i hope that makes sense.

He should do that especially if you weren't getting electricity.

He shouldn't be charging extra. I'm not sure what for?

But even though the meter wasnt working we were still getting electricity. That is what has confused us.

Well, that is a matter of abstracting electricity which is an offence. You probably shouldn't be shouting about that particularly widely.

That will be nothing to do with the landlord though. Tampering with metres is a very common scam in the UK.

The landlord is the one who is dealing with the electricity though, its his and the agents responsibility to empty/deal with the meter. We have no dealing with the electricity company ourselves, we put the money in the meter and thats it. If the landlord has nothing to do with it then who does?

It seems unusual that this new meter just appeared. Even with the new meter when the money runs out the electricity goes off, then comes back on. we just want to get it sorted so it can not come back on us.

if the landlord has nothing to do with this then who does?
Relist: has not responed to a simple follow up question.
has not responed to a simple follow up question
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

We thought it was metered but we didnt know how we were still getting electricity when it wasnt working, that is why we asked the landlord to sort it out and we dont know who the electric company is to phone them and sort things out with them.