UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

Hello,My grandad has just started a dispute with his local…

Customer Question
Hello, My grandad has just started...

My grandad has just started a dispute with his local council. If i give you a few details please could you advise me on; if he has a case and any further advice you think would be necessary.
On the deeds to his property it shows that he own's upto the centre of the road in the back lane. The council have now put down double yellow lines up the back lane. He parked his car around the back to wash it on friday 18th June to be approached by a traffic warden who stated that if he didn't move his car straight away he would be issued with a ticket. He cannot park at the front of the house as there is a bus stop (which again was put there after they moved in). There is a row of shop 2 houses down where this is parking bays but you are only aloud to park there for 1 hour. We believe this to be an infringement of his rights. 43 years they have lived there. He now has nowhere to park his car to unload/wash it etc..
The council did not notify, advertise or put up notices to inform the residents of these double yellow lines.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
6/26/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Did he receive a ticket?

No he didn't receive a ticket as the traffic warden was quite understanding. He did take pictures and said he would look into this situation but would put a ticket on next time!!!

Are the council not tresspassing on grandads property putting yellow lines down without his permission???

So are you saying that they have actually placed double yellow lines on land that he owns according the land registry?
Yes i believe so.

That would seem to amount to a trespass although thats more of a land registry question than a traffic one. I'll pass this on to somebody who is better with land than me. I think he's offline now but Im sure he'll pick this up today.

Ok thank you very much.
Solicitor: F E Smith, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.