UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

i bought a house with my ex husband in 2002 we seperated in…

Customer Question
i bought a house with...
i bought a house with my ex husband in 2002 we seperated in 2006 and he has never paid a penny towards the house the mortgage the up keep or anything he also left me with a joint bank loan for over £3000 and a family tax credit over payment for over £3000 plus and electricity bill in his name for over £400 all of which i have settled.
the mortgage value is £94000 and the house is worth about the same. mortage payments were around £780 a month when he left and have come down with interest rates since then but i have paid them all on my own. we have two children which he has paid minimum amounts for as and when he feels like it when chased by CSA and is currently in arears with them of £1600. our divorce has just gone through but no financial side of things were settled as it was difficult enough getting the divorce through having to serve him by baliff with the papers. he has now instructed a solicitor to sort out the house and i am after some advise as to where i stand as they are asking me to buy him out?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
6/23/2010
Solicitor: Clare, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Clare
Clare, Solicitor

hi

just to confirm - there is no equity in the house

claire

no to the best of my knowledge looking at house prices in the area there is no equity although i am yet to have it valuated as i only received his solicitors letter today

hi

how old are the children and have you asked the mortgage company if they will release your ex from the mortgage

claire