Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

i had a contract for tennancy agreement 2 years with a 12 monh

Customer Question

i had a contract for tennancy agreement 2 years with a 12 monh break clause. Two months notice. I have paid rent as per the agreement, however the landlord has served notice and wants me to leave one week before the end of the 12 months. surely this is breach of contract? what are my legal rights? am I entitled to compensation?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 8 years ago.

What does the break clause say?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Taken word for word from the contract

Term: the landlord lts to the tenant the propery for a period of two years ("teh term") from and incudng 27th June 2009 to and including 26th Jun 2011

Then in ending the tennancy section

Either party shall have the right to terminate this agreement by giving the other party not leass than two months advance written notice. in the case of the tenant such notice will only be effctive if snetby recorded delivery to tennancy terminatios at foxtons . This notice an only expire after the first 12 months of the tennancy.

We had over two months notice, i did point out verbally to the letting agency that it was in breach of contract.